adult bibs or clothing protector is mainly to prevent clothing from being stained and possibly ruined, along with keeping food and liquids from being spilled onto the floor, table or tablecloth. For those who suffer tremors, examples include seniors, Parkinson patients, post stroke patients, those with disability (both young and old) clothing protectors such as adult bibs can bring a sense of dignity, confidence and renewed enjoyment to a dining experience. Adult bibs come in many different variations. Some differentiations include size, cost, material used, colors/patterns, disposable versus washable and closure style.Adult bibs are a valuable tool for anyone who tends to have food or liquid spills when eating or drinking. The idea of using
- Size- a few common sizes for adult bibs are 18 inches wide by 28 inches long, 18 inches wide by 30 inches long and 18 inches wide by 35 inches long. The longer sizes are better for accommodating a longer person, but also can be used to provide protection to the lap area from spills. In addition, there are adult bibs known as a crumb catcher which may also be on the longer side, 35 inches being standard. A crumb catcherwill have closures such as snaps which can be snapped at the bottom of the bib creating a small pocket to catch food that may fall.
- Cost- the pricing for adult bibs can vary widely. Not all are created the same, obviously, and different features, such as waterproof barriers and different materials can increase the cost. One of the big variables in cost is also imported versus domestically manufactured. The imported adult bibs are often less expensive, but for those who prefer to buy Made In America, most companies should have both available for comparison.
- Material used- as mentioned above, adult bibs can either be waterproof or not. If waterproof, the often have a vinyl backing that prevents moisture from seeping through material and soaking into clothing. This becomes more important if there is drooling, as continuous and heavy drool will soak through a standard, non-waterproof barrier material. One advantage of non-waterproof adult bibs is that they tend to be less heavy. Often terry cloth is used for the non-waterproof and can even be embroidered. Still, waterproof barriers can also be found on terry cloth bibs too. A few things to consider when needing a waterproof is to ask how much of the bib is waterproof, in other words, is it the full back or just a strip. Also, ask if there is any rayon, as it is rayon which is very effective in preventing Lastly, look for a waterproof backing that will not crack when washed and that can be laundered in home and in industrial strength washing and drying machines. There are also adult bibs known as a wipe clean. A wipe clean is perfect for those people that do not want a disposable bib but also do not want to constantly launder their bibs. These vinyl bibs can easily be wiped clean with a damp cloth and set out to dry. It is recommended, of course, that at some time even these type of adult bibs go through a wash and dry cycle.
- Colors and patterns- adult bibs come in a range of colors and patterns. Look for a company that offers a wide variety, so that the adult bibs can be personalized for the person who is going to be using it. A male may very well prefer a different color and pattern, blue and green plaids are often nice for men. Females, on the other hand, may prefer adult bibs with a more feminine color such as pink or pastel. Both genders may like terry cloth adult bibs that tend to be softer and plush. Many people in need of adult bibs may not be aware that they can find one that looks exactly like a fancy napkin that comes in higher end restaurants. These type of adultbibs are often made of the same material that high quality napkins are made of. Also, wearing this type of adult bib is much less conspicuous and can add further dignity to wearing one; sometimes the adult bibs can even be rolled up and put in a napkin ring to dress up the table. As a matter of fact, these type of adult bibsare a great idea to use at wedding receptions to protect the wedding parties clothing during the meal.These can also be found in the market with a waterproof back.
- Disposable vs washable- This is a matter of choice. Some people may prefer the ease and convenience of disposable adult bibs as they can be used once and then tossed into the trash. There are stick on disposable adult bibs, over the head disposable and tie disposable adult bibs readily available. They usually come in a box of 50 or 100 pieces. Both should be waterproof, lightweight and comfortable. There also provide a level of comfort and dignity, for the stick on adult bibs, simply peel and stick to the clothing. However, there are also people and facilities who prefer washable adult bibs. A good washable one can be more economical as it can last year’s depending on the care taken, especially during laundering. The washable adult bibs also comein many types of fabric and materials, as mentioned above. This provides the wearer of the with a host of choices for colors, patterns and styles.
- Closure type- There are many different closures available for adult bibs. These include snaps, string ties, knot button and Velcro closures (sometimes a company may call a Velcro like closure “hook and loop”. The reason for this is that Velcro is a brand name and cannot be used otherwise.) The type of closure chosen depends on what one is looking for. For example, a Velcro or hook and loop closure tends to be very easy to secure for the user, however, tends to not last as long. One way to increase the lifespan of this type of closure is to fasten it during the washing and drying process to prevent lint from collecting on the fastener, causing it to wear out. On the other end of the spectrum, adult bibs that have string ties, knot button or snaps tend to last longer but may be more difficult to fasten for the person wearing one. If there is a caregiver involved, of course, the difficulty of securing the closure for adult bibs becomes less of an issue.