Braided packings are now available to fit your modern fluid handling systems — as well as your older plant — because to advancements in materials and lubricants, product design, and production procedures.
Packings that are covered in this guide include:
- Control fugitive emissions to world-class levels, frequently to less than 50 parts per million.
- Provide the most cost-effective fluid sealing for your plant’s specific needs.
- From cutting-edge materials to classic ‘natural’ yarns, there’s something for everyone.
- Work in the harshest, most abrasive, and chemically hostile situations possible.
- Tolerate poor mechanical conditions such as shafts that are off-center or damaged bearings.
- Meet the standards for duties involving potable water, food, pharmaceuticals, or liquid/gaseous oxygen.
- Reduce your stockpiles by using one length-form packing for several valves, pumps, and other fluid handling equipment on a single site.
Industries all around the world rely on our braided packings to keep their valves, pumps, and other equipment running efficiently day in and day out – with minimal fugitive emissions and energy savings.
As follows, the packed gland has stood the test of time:
- A fluid-sealing device that is extremely dependable.
- Installing and maintaining it is a breeze.
- Extremely adaptable.
- When compared to more complex options, it is incredibly cost effective in terms of both downtime and materials.
If you require special-duty braided packing, please contact us; we specialise in custom design and production.
We can address all of your relevant fluid sealing difficulties with our fluid sealing and applications engineering experience, backed by a wide range of raw materials and flexible production facilities.
Valve sealing systems:
High performance braided packings \sconstitute part of our wide-ranging package \sof sealing-based products and services for \svalve OEMs, users and refurbishers.
Please inquire for full information about our:
- ‘O’ rings.
- Metal ring joints and gaskets.
- Valve seats in engineering plastics.
- RotaBolt® tension control fasteners.
Duties at a glance:
We utilise icons to indicate distinct plant applications throughout this guide:
- stems for valves
- for rotating equipment and centrifugal pumps
- for rams and reciprocating pumps
- Tank and hatch lids, crucible lids, and doors — for static duties
World-beating fugitive emission control:
One of our top-of-the-line fugitive emission control products for valves is Supagraf® Premier. It is a best available technique (BAT) product for decreasing fugitive emissions in industry in accordance with the IPPC Directive of the European Union.
This low-cost braided packing is made of exfoliated graphite and strengthened in a unique way for added strength and resistance to pressure and extrusion. It has an innovative lubricating system that prevents graphite from adhering to the valve stem.
Under difficult operating conditions, fugitive emissions from all types of valves must be kept below 100 parts per million.
Fluid media such as hydrocarbon liquid fuels and gases, lubricating lubricants, and process chemicals are commonly utilised in systems.
- Emission control performance that has been certified by a third party.
- In independent testing conducted on behalf of CAPI Group (Akzo Nobel, Shell, Dow, and DSM), it came out on top.
- Both rotating and rising-stem valves are recommended.
- There is no graphite pick-up in this low-friction motion.
- There are no specific fitting techniques required.
Supagraf Premier has been tested and verified by a third party to:
- VDI 2440 standards for VOC emission control in valves, TA Luft Rev 07.2002.
In tests for Ruhr Oel (Deutsche BP & Petróleos de Venezuela), the sealing system met the TA Luft High Grade criteria.
- EN ISO 15848 is a European standard.
- Class B rating with 6875psi helium in Class 2500 valve, according to Shell specification SPE 77/312 Rev 06.2007.
- SPE 77/312 Class A, Rev 16.10.2002. Shell standard.
- To an enhanced specification, API 607 Fire Safety.
Preformed rings and sets can be split for convenience of installation and best performance, or purchased in boxes containing 26′ (8m) for on-site maintenance savings.
All popular pieces from •” upwards are available ex stock to fit standard valves.
Square or rectangular portions that aren’t conventional are created to order. Complete installation instructions are supplied.
Control of fugitive emissions for control valves in accordance with TA Luft standards:
For over 100,000 stem strokes, our unique braided packing for control valves has been proved to minimise VOC fugitive emissions to far below 50ppm. In accordance with the European Union’s IPPC Directive, its use is a best available method (BAT).
Control’s unique design and construction result in long-term, high-integrity sealing with very low stem friction for control accuracy.
It’s made of high-purity exfoliated graphite that’s been strengthened with a nonmetallic structure for added strength and resilience to pressure and extrusion. To prevent the accumulation of graphite on valve stems, an improved lubricating system is included.
Masoneilan control valves equipped with Supagraf Control have been approved to TA Luft criteria for leak tightness with helium to 10-4mbar.litre.s-1.m-1. For 100,000 stem cycles, including four thermal cycles and two gland adjustments, 1450psi at 68°F and 827psi at a fluid flow temperature of 797°F were used.
Masoneilan control valves equipped with Supagraf Control are certified to ISO 15848-1 Class BH, CC3 at temperatures ranging from -20°F to +797°F. For 100,000 stem cycles, the valves revealed helium leakage rates of less than 10-4mg.s-1.m-1. This was accomplished with a pressure of 834psi at +797°F fluid flow temperature and 1500psi from -20°F to +100°F fluid flow temperature.
- Control valve stem gland sealing with high integrity: to well below 50ppm fugitive emission threshold.
- Long-term operation with no adjustments: over 100,000 stem strokes with emission levels below 500ppm are conceivable.
- Valve movement is smooth and precise because to the low coefficient of friction.
- Reduced friction requirements to reduce power consumption and allow for the use of smaller actuators.
- TUV-Nord certified to TA Luft/ VDI 2440.
Fluid media such as hydrocarbon liquid fuels and gases, lubricating oils, and hazardous process chemicals are handled by control valves in systems.
It can be utilised as a long-term substitute for PTFE V-type packings, which are easily destroyed by dirt and other foreign particles entering the gland area.
How is it supplied?
Split premade rings and sets for ease of installation and best performance, or buy them in boxes of 26′ (8m) for on-site maintenance savings.
All popular pieces from •” upwards are ex-stock and fit standard valves. Square or rectangular portions that aren’t conventional are created to order. Complete installation instructions are supplied.
Custom-Design And Manufacture Of Braided Packings:
We specialise in custom-designing and manufacturing braided packings and other braided goods to answer unique industrial difficulties.
Just inquire if you need something that isn’t in our usual size range.
On our automated braiding and plaiting machines, we produce lengths or rings to request. We can efficiently meet your urgent requests thanks to our flexible manufacturing and raw material stocks.
In addition, if your operating parameters are outside the realm of our conventional products, our in-house research team will endeavour to design new or modified packings to match your needs.
The vast majority of the goods in this guide are readily available. The following is a sampling of the things we’ve created to suit odd requests and are presently manufacturing to order.
Packing rings for soot blowers (LRCM056):
These robust, dense packings, made of knitted copper wire and graphite yarns, will withstand wear and resist the action of excessive lance movement.
Hornet (LRCM085) without graphite:
Cross-plaited with aramid fibres at the corners and PTFE yarns on each side, similar to our Hornet packing (page 14). When graphite materials aren’t tolerated, employ this with abrasive media.
Glass yarns braided (LRCM190):
Braided glass yarns are used to make a variety of special braided packing. Different densities are offered in round, square, and rectangular portions. Rubber cores can also be braided using yarns.
Grafpak (LRCM275) with wire:
For high temperature/pressure applications, a wire-reinforced version of our graphite-based Grafpak packing (page 11) is available.
LRCM370 (aramid with PTFE):
Valve stem packing made of PTFE yarns with an aramid core that has been specially created.
Temperature rises Supasca XA Armoured:
Stainless steel wire braided over a silica-based core in a special version of our Armoured Supasca XA (page 21). For use at temperatures of 1832°F (1000°C) or higher.
Braided glass sleeving with silicone coating:
Protects wires and pipes from extreme heat and hot particle impact.
Other industrial-related products:
- Ladder tape and glass webbing tape
- Lagging for ropes and pipes.
- The cord is twisted.
- Twine for sewing.
- Seals and gauge glasses
- Sleeves with eyelets are being packed.
We’ll provide braided packaging products to you when and when you need them.
Our automated warehouse has ten million sealing goods on hand and ready to ship the same day. These contain large quantities of braided packings in all of the most common sizes and grades utilised in industry.
Over 100 nations are covered by a close-knit network of James Walker firms and certified distributors. This is backed up by a web-based system and a well-developed logistics operation that ensures supplies for JIT and regular maintenance schedules.
The James Walker Technology Center’s research and development engineers focus on the cutting edge of fluid sealing technology. They provide novel materials, technologies, and production procedures that improve the sealing of today’s plants while also meeting the expectations of tomorrow’s plants.
They also collaborate on collaborative research initiatives with other members of the European Sealing Association – of which we are a founding member – and fund high-level research in collaboration with the world’s leading sealers.
We periodically commission independent test houses across the world for third-party certification of our goods to international and industry standards, in addition to our in-house test facilities that validate the viability of our materials and seal designs.
We strive to provide you with the best:
- Customer service is important.
- Technical assistance
- Products for sealing fluids
- Service after the sale.
With tens of thousands of clients globally, our high-tech Customer Support Center leads the fluid sealing business.
Our local staff, backed by highly experienced applications engineers and the Technology Center, provide on-site technical advice. They have the experience and resources to help our customers with any fluid sealing issues.